Not So Fun Surprises

By Carmen

This summer I've been cleaning up our yard.  Mainly picking up all the pinecones, sticks and branches that have fallen in the last six months.  The cosmetic work probably won't really get started until next spring.  I'll post pictures periodically but that's not what this blog is about.

This blog is about the not so fun surprises I've found while working and/or just walking about the yard. Unfortunately I only took pictures of one of these not so fun surprises.

Two weeks ago, I found a snake skeleton in our front yard that was about 2 feet long.

Last week I found a yellow jackets nest in our back yard (for those of you who don't know yellow jackets nest in the ground) while I was dumping out vegetable oil. 

This week I found the biggest black widow I've ever seen in my life in a web just on the side of my house. 

IMG_5745

Many of you already know this but I am absolutely terrified of spiders.  Just seeing one the size of a pencil eraser or bigger makes me want to vomit, leaves me feeling crawly for hours and gives me nightmares. Which means I will not be looking at this post again.  Tyler asked me to get closer to it (he was obviously nuts).

I am waiting for Tyler to kill this particular spider so I can go outside without worrying where it is and what it is planning.  They are such sneaking creatures.

Not all of our surprises have been bad.  We have a bird that has been sleeping on the corner of a ledge on our porch for the last few nights.  He doesn't have a nest or anything.  Maybe he's been in the doghouse and just needed a place to crash for a few nights.

4 comments:

Mimi said...
July 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM

That's a big spider and black widows are no fun to have around, but I'd be just as worried about the snake. Hopefully it was just passing through.

Candace said...
July 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I saw a huge black snake (alive) on our driveway the other day! It really scared me cause I didn't notice it until I was almost right on it!!

Princess Consuela and Banana Hammock said...
July 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Carmen, We have some of the same fears: spiders and snakes. We probably react the same way too. Once in college I had to teach a lesson in front of my peers about whales. Yes the friendly whales. I am terrified of anything in the ocean. As soon as i saw a picture of a whale the same size as your spider picture i screamed. It was on the computer and it was tiny but i still screamed. I imagine i am face to face with it and it scares me....Oooo im kinda getting scared thinking about it ...okay change the subject! Im coming home July 29!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...
July 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM

I like the part where Travis and I invited you to come over and watch Arachnophobia. Great response!

Back to Home Back to Top Three Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.