Faith and Forest Prayers

 Annley is learning and growing so much. She is also now has her own interpretation of things, pictures and phrases. This  has caused a little confusion and drama in our family the last two weeks.

Sunday, we went to church, came home, enjoyed the day, went to bed and voila Monday was here.
Monday, morning Annley wakes up and looks out the window.
"Mommy, I see a forest! I need to go in it and pray so Heavenly Father can see me."

My first thought oh, they learned about Joseph Smith and the First Vision on Sunday. Nope, I talked to the nursery leader. They learned that Heavenly Father has a physical body just like them. She did however show a picture of The First Vision to show that Heavenly Father does indeed have a body like them. She put the rest together on her own.

"Oh, um ok but we can't right now because Parker is sleeping. Did you know we can say a prayer right here in the house and Heavenly Father can still hear us and see us."
"But I want to see him. Will he come see me in the house?"
"I'm not sure. Heavenly Father doesn't make appearances for very many prayers."
Drama ensues... "But he will come see me pray in the forest!"

Next day, we go to my friends house.
"Guess what Mrs. Autumn? When we get in Phoebe (our van) and leave here we are going to see Heavenly Father."
"What? I never said that. Honey we can't just get in the car and just drive to see Heavenly Father." "He lives too far away."
"In Seattle?"
"Um No. We can't exactly get to where he is right now."
"When?"

Great, now I have to explain life and death to my 3 year old.
"Annley, do you remember Tuff? He got really old and died so Heavenly Father took Tuff to live with him. Heavenly Father gets to choose when we see him for now that is usually after we die."
Silence... followed my my sigh of relief. I should have known better. Apparently she was just analyzing what I said.

Wednesday, the next day.
"Grandpa, Tuff got really old and he died so now he lives with Heavenly Father."
"Yep, that's right."
"And you are going to get really old and then you'll die and go see Heavenly Father."
"Yep, that's true too."
"And then I'll get really old and die...then I can go see Heavenly Father."
"Yes, but that won't happen for a very very long time."
Short silence followed by loud sigh, pouting and tears...
"I don't want to get old! I don't want to die."

It was a long few days.  She is still asking to go pray in the forest so I'll be taking her to do that sometime this week. She's not upset about dying or at least she isn't talking about it but she is still talking about Heavenly Father seeing her pray and wanting to see him.

I really don't know what else to say at this point other than Heavenly Father decides who gets to see him while we live on Earth.

3 comments:

Candace said...
June 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Our dog died last year and we have been having the same issue! Laurel wants to see Heavenly Father and others in heaven but she doesn't want to die. I'm at a loss to explain it anymore as well.

I'm glad to know it is normal. For a while whenever we met someone Laurel would ask them if their mom/dad/other relative was "deaded" and in heaven (after I told her about my grandma who died). That was awkward.

We also had some issues about Easter and Jesus dying and then coming back alive. She is still a little confused about that. We were watching Tangled the other day and when Flynn comes back alive she said, "He came back alive just like Jesus!" Um, yeah, not really sweetie. It is so hard to explain!

Lori Kneisly said...
June 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Even while you're scratching your head, isn't it great? They're so full of surprises.

Lori Kneisly said...
June 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

By the way, I had quite a good laugh at this post. Very entertaining. :)

Back to Home Back to Top Three Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.